The Leonard Wood Institute (LWI) is a tax exempt, nonprofit research center located near Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. The organization primarily focuses on fulfilling the technology and research needs of the Maneuver Support Center of Excellence and Fort Leonard Wood and improving technology in the Fort Leonard Wood region. Specifically, LWI seeks ways to support the Army's Training Transformation Initiative, which is designed to ensure that Soldiers are fully and adequately trained and equipped.
LWI helps the Army identify and utilize the capabilities of researchers, from both public and private organizations, to perform training-related research and development and to provide services related to current and future Army programs in the areas of:
- Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) Defense
- Mines, Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and Unexploded Ordnance
- Non-Lethal Weapons
- Complex and Dynamic Threat Environments
LWI's support of training missions at Fort Leonard Wood and MSCoE are governed by a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). The MOU defines how the Army, LWI and its partners cooperate in research, experimentation, technology exploration, product development, and instructional support. Additionally, LWI has a long term Cooperative Agreement (CA) with the U.S. Army Research Laboratory, Human Research and Engineering Directorate ARL-HRED. The CA allows LWI to perform applied research, using primarily RDT&E funding.
LWI is also involved in identifying and executing strategies that support Fort Leonard Wood and the region, which enhances FLW sustainability. As a standing committee of LWI, the Sustainable Ozarks Partnership is designed to: 1) achieve national recognition for the FLW region as an excellent place for people to live, work, play, and do business; 2) ensure that FLW remains an enduring installation; 3) be a catalyst for positive change for citizens and businesses in the region; and 4) partner with FLW to lower its costs of operation and enhance its sustainability.
Both LWI and Fort Leonard Wood were named for Major General Leonard Wood (1860-1927), an aggressive and energetic soldier who was instrumental in transforming the U.S. Army into a modern fighting force. Read General Wood's biography and learn why General Wood's life and accomplishments inspire the work of LWI.